bearings

General Discussion where anything goes! (well, almost anything...)

bearings

Postby alizahb » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:42 pm

I was just wondering if anyone who has been skating for a while has any advice on bearings...such as how often should I buy new ones? Also is choice of bearings at all dependent on the type/height of wheel?

Thanks for your help! I just now realized I know nothing about this. :/
alizahb

Re: bearings

Postby nell bomb » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:41 pm

I generally replace mine when I replace my wheels or if they start making noise. I do clean mine about every 3 months.

A good basic bearing are Bones Reds. The higher the Abec rating, the faster the roll. Weight doesn't make a difference with bearing choice.

I've only had more expensive ones once and only had them for a month before my skates were stolen so i can't give a personal recommendation on whether or not they were better.
Nell Bomb
Official/Active Retiree
WFTDA Rep/WFTDA Games Officer
Treasurer
I make all the copies
nell bomb

Postby Cirque » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:00 pm

I use Reds too, and a set for me tends to last about a season before I want new ones. I take them out of my wheels and clean them at least a couple times a year.
Cirque du Slay #111
Cirque

Postby KillEasy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:35 pm

I also use Reds. I don't clean them. I buy new ones about once a year.
Kill Easy
Off the board :)
KillEasy0@gmail.com
KillEasy

Postby alizahb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Can I use the reds for my new wheels if they are the slightly shorter kind (59 vs. 62)? Sorry if that is a dumb question, I just want to make sure it's not going to make a difference before I order new ones
alizahb

Postby TheBigEasy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:37 pm

I don't know much but I do know that I bought reds when I got rid of my stock wheels and they fit the atom wheels I got that are different in height and width.
Mo
TheBigEasy

Postby nell bomb » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:17 am

Yes, they will fit
Nell Bomb
Official/Active Retiree
WFTDA Rep/WFTDA Games Officer
Treasurer
I make all the copies
nell bomb

Postby Cray » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:33 am

I'm about the same as everyone else in how often I replace and clean them. So far, I have replaced them about once a season, but take them out a few times to clean.I have had Bones Reds, Bones Super Reds, and Bionic Swiss. I noticed a difference in how my wheels rolled when I switched from Bones Reds to Bones Super Reds. I kept the same wheels, so I feel like this was legit. I kind of hate maintaining my bearings, so I decided to go with Swiss bearings this time because in theory they are supposed to just last longer (with slightly less maintenance). They seem to be staying cleaner, but I'll have to let you know in the long run if the price was really worth it.

Side note: I looked at the ceramic options for a quick second before I decided these seem unnecessary for indoor wheels (they help prevent rust, etc.).

-Cray
Crazy Cait Lady #02
Cray

Postby Kat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:58 pm

late to the party

I do have a preference... I like MOTO bearings. They are the same price as reds but I feel like the oil (or speed cream) is less thick. Also when I oil my bearings I use sewing machine oil cause its more light & I feel like it's faster.
Katillac Coupe Devill #75
When I started playing derby we had wooden wheels;
and you only had one pair and if you lost your wheels
you'd have to wait for someone to die and leave you their wheels.
Kat
Site Admin

Return to Free Skate