Are you a derby dinosaur?

Links to derby in the press, other leagues, or anything derby related that you want to share.

Are you a derby dinosaur?

Postby Peewee » Fri May 18, 2012 10:51 am

Interesting read for keeping up with the evolution of derby training: http://elektraqtion.blogspot.com/2012/05/dont-be-derby-dinosaur.html?spref=fb
Peewee

Re: Are you a derby dinosaur?

Postby Ida Backoff » Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 am

you beat me to it!

I have one thing on the list that I have to address. Let's see if I am successful on June 2. Help me!
Ida Backoff

Postby Nell Bomb » Fri May 18, 2012 11:03 am

I'm two of those. :oops:
Nell Bomb

Postby killabrew » Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Being a zebra, our skills are different (and in many ways) weaker than derby girls. But damn, she's spot on! Hit the gym, repeatedly, quit smoking (I want to and will put forth serious effort if someone wants to join me), READ THE FUCKING RULES!, and think about how you can manipulate them to your advantage. If you haven't seen the end of the merby bout during Spring Roll, look it up and check out their strategy. Us refs have been discussing it (8 pages so far of discussion) on the wftda boards. Some teams have entire committees tasked with strategy.

Be strong, then get stronger!
Fight!
Win!
killabrew

Postby Nell Bomb » Fri May 18, 2012 7:55 pm

After beach con?
Nell Bomb

Postby Peewee » Fri May 18, 2012 8:33 pm

I hit Crossfit today w/ Ida and was reminded that my body has been missing my strength training workouts since starting derby. I WILL make time for it!
Peewee

Postby killabrew » Fri May 18, 2012 10:22 pm

You got it Nell. And we'll rule the rink!
killabrew

Postby Nell Bomb » Fri May 18, 2012 10:58 pm

killabrew wrote:You got it Nell. And we'll rule the rink!

Yes!!!!
Nell Bomb

Postby Ida Backoff » Sat May 19, 2012 10:33 am

killabrew wrote:Being a zebra, our skills are different (and in many ways) weaker than derby girls. But damn, she's spot on! Hit the gym, repeatedly, quit smoking (I want to and will put forth serious effort if someone wants to join me), READ THE FUCKING RULES!, and think about how you can manipulate them to your advantage. If you haven't seen the end of the merby bout during Spring Roll, look it up and check out their strategy. Us refs have been discussing it (8 pages so far of discussion) on the wftda boards. Some teams have entire committees tasked with strategy.

Be strong, then get stronger!
Fight!
Win!

Hey do you have a link for the Spring Roll?
Ida Backoff

Postby Ida Backoff » Sat May 19, 2012 10:45 am

For those newer skaters who are not yet doing some serious cross training let me tell you a story.

Two Junes ago there were these ladies named Nell and Mel who would lecture us after every practice-workout outside of skating ladies, you just cant skate ladies, ride your bike, run, hit the gym ladies. Ida said, "whatever, my fat ass is lucky to be skating at all, this is the most activity I have done in my life" and I could not keep up and fell out and they shook there head and wondered if I would make it. A year later I skated my first B bout and a few bouts after but did not get a lot of game time, usually one every 6 lineups AT THE END OF THE SEASON! I did this with doing some cardio two of the days I did not skate and some targeted weights.

This year when we had our first bout the derby wife said, did you see how worn out we were, tired? I went back and looked at the bout again through those eyes and said shit she is right and decided to make change. I have lost 10% of my body weight since the first bout of 2012. I am 5lbs away from my first benchmark goal of 200lbs- I was 238 on New Years Day. I am stronger, I can endure more on the track, and I am fighting my ass off to be in every other lineup up for each A game. I am not there yet but I hope to be soon. What all of this training is also doing is getting me in a better mindset. I can push myself harder, I am trying things I used to say "I can't do". I am happier, I do not bring as much garbage to the track because I am getting it out in the gym, which I think makes my teammates happier with me when we skate.

I am not trying to preach, but cross training makes all of the difference in the world and covers at least two things on the list! Not only will you reap the rewards but I think your teammates will too!
Ida Backoff

Postby whit » Sat May 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Ida Backoff wrote:For those newer skaters who are not yet doing some serious cross training let me tell you a story.

Two Junes ago there were these ladies named Nell and Mel who would lecture us after every practice-workout outside of skating ladies, you just cant skate ladies, ride your bike, run, hit the gym ladies. Ida said, "whatever, my fat ass is lucky to be skating at all, this is the most activity I have done in my life" and I could not keep up and fell out and they shook there head and wondered if I would make it. A year later I skated my first B bout and a few bouts after but did not get a lot of game time, usually one every 6 lineups AT THE END OF THE SEASON! I did this with doing some cardio two of the days I did not skate and some targeted weights.

This year when we had our first bout the derby wife said, did you see how worn out we were, tired? I went back and looked at the bout again through those eyes and said shit she is right and decided to make change. I have lost 10% of my body weight since the first bout of 2012. I am 5lbs away from my first benchmark goal of 200lbs- I was 238 on New Years Day. I am stronger, I can endure more on the track, and I am fighting my ass off to be in every other lineup up for each A game. I am not there yet but I hope to be soon. What all of this training is also doing is getting me in a better mindset. I can push myself harder, I am trying things I used to say "I can't do". I am happier, I do not bring as much garbage to the track because I am getting it out in the gym, which I think makes my teammates happier with me when we skate.

I am not trying to preach, but cross training makes all of the difference in the world and covers at least two things on the list! Not only will you reap the rewards but I think your teammates will too!

YES!! I really want to do WoW on the non-derby days. It is kind of expensive, but I believe that Michael and April wouldn't turn anyone away. If you're interested in doing this with me, please let me know. Two summer's ago, I did WoW and lost 30 pounds over 2 months.
whit

Postby anne thrax » Sat May 19, 2012 2:26 pm

YES!! I really want to do WoW on the non-derby days. It is kind of expensive, but I believe that Michael and April wouldn't turn anyone away. If you're interested in doing this with me, please let me know. Two summer's ago, I did WoW and lost 30 pounds over 2 months.

i am interested in wow as well, but i was weighing the cost since my husband is starting grad school.....let's see what we can figure out in terms of days we could do.....i am guessing the flex pass would be the thing to do?
anne thrax

Postby carla » Sun May 20, 2012 1:00 am

I want to quit smoking when I get back!
carla

Postby killabrew » Sun May 20, 2012 7:56 am

When do you get back? I'm doing it, Nell's doing it, all the cool kids are doing it!
killabrew

Postby carla » Sun May 20, 2012 9:02 am

Mid june
carla

Next

Return to It's what we're aBOUT!