What kind of skates should I buy?

New to the forums or to CCRG? Introduce yourself here and learn more about CCRG, roller derby, rules, skates, and equipment!

Re: What kind of skates should I buy?

Postby Whiskey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Or...ideally, if anyone would like to volunteer to sit at Hendershot's with me and my computer sometime this week (tomorrow is best:/) I will buy you coffee and you can answer all my questions. :)
Whiskey

Postby nell bomb » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:05 pm

R3's are a skate, not a number. They are made by Reidell and are considered beginner skates (although I have been wearing them since 2006). I personally like them because I have flat feet, you don't have to break them in and they only cost around $100. They will last you anywhere from a year to two depending on how hard you are on skates.

I can only recommend those because that's all I have ever skated in. As for wheels, the numbers refer to the hardness of the wheel. The higher the number, the harder they are, and lower means stickier/softer. Wheels are really just your personal preference. I skate on 93s.

Here's a link that has some information, specifically wheels. http://www.sincityskates.com/blog.aspx

Depends on the skate package, some of them are good some not. If you are looking at Sin City, then I would guess that they are almost all good.
Nell Bomb
Official/Active Retiree
WFTDA Rep/WFTDA Games Officer
Treasurer
I make all the copies
nell bomb

Postby Katawhompus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Hey everybody! Most of the links on the first page are sadly totally broken (and I think that Woody's of Norcross everyone was talking about has closed down recently??), but I'd gotten recommendation on derbywarehouse.com and was wondering if the skates they have on sale are good starter / maybe long-haul skates to get? Specifically I was looking at these ones: Roller Derby Elite Stomp Factor RTX 6000 or Sure-Grip Boxer Skates or Crazy Skates VXi. I have... no idea what all the specs about aluminum trucks and kingpin angles and everything else means, so some advice would really help!
Katawhompus

Postby Cirque » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:24 pm

kathsul wrote:Hey everybody! Most of the links on the first page are sadly totally broken (and I think that Woody's of Norcross everyone was talking about has closed down recently??), but I'd gotten recommendation on derbywarehouse.com and was wondering if the skates they have on sale are good starter / maybe long-haul skates to get? Specifically I was looking at these ones: Roller Derby Elite Stomp Factor RTX 6000 or Sure-Grip Boxer Skates or Crazy Skates VXi. I have... no idea what all the specs about aluminum trucks and kingpin angles and everything else means, so some advice would really help!

When you say "good starter/maybe long-haul skates" these skates seem like they fit for a starter pair, but definitely not a long-haul skate. I had a look at both of those skates and they both seem like they'd be ok, pretty low-end beginner skates that would last you about a year at a guess. However, the wheels that come with it look like really bad quality, plasticy wheels, so I'd look at replacing those at the outset. If you're pretty sure that you want to progress with derby and keep with it longer than just a year, I would probably recommend spending a little more on a better skate package instead. That would come with better wheels too, which I really have a feeling you would want to replace on these 2 packages. Those two packages are under $100 which is a great price, but if you add new wheels and bearings then you're already looking at closer to $150-$175. If you instead pay $200 at the outset, that jumps you up into looking at much much nicer sets of skates that you could progress in for longer.

Just my two cents!
Cirque du Slay #111
Cirque

Postby Cirque » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Have a look at this set! Same website, and only $139 if you choose the Atom Snap Wheels 91A option (The poisons that it is advertised with will be WAY too gripy to practice at our space comfortably, plus it adds $20.) This has a more comfortable boot, quality toe stop and bearings, better wheels, and a similar plate to the other two packages.
http://www.derbywarehouse.com/Jackson_V ... -JVIP.html
Cirque du Slay #111
Cirque

Postby Katawhompus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:40 pm

@Cirque Thanks so much for the input! I was wondering if the ones on sale were decent because they're generally a bit pricier when not on sale (derr, though I'm aware price does not always equal quality) but since I hadn't seen any kind of mention about any of those brands, I wasn't really sure they were derby appropriate. I was looking at the Jacksons too since they're part of their full make-a-starter-package set, and I'm excited that they're actually pretty good. Glad I asked! :3
Katawhompus

Postby Cirque » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:46 pm

No problem! I had a quick look at their make-a-starter packages and just wanted to let you know that the SISU mouthguard is the one most everyone on the team wears, they are super comfortable.
Cirque du Slay #111
Cirque

Postby Katawhompus » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Awesome, I had gotten a boil-n-bite from Walmart for like a dollar, but I'm sure it won't last all that super long, hahaha. They offer hockey helmets as an option too - is that super weird or pretty standard? My dad's from Canada, so I think it'd crack him up if I got a hockey helmet, but if it's pretty much just better to get the regular one, I'll stick with that. :lol:
Katawhompus

Postby Cirque » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Hockey helmets are completely acceptable! I wore one all of last year and so do a couple other skaters on our team, but the S1 helmet is admittedly more popular. Both of those options are great and safe for multiple impact (which is what you want, nothing worse than having to buy a new helmet after only 1 collision), so it's just up to your stylistic preference.
Cirque du Slay #111
Cirque

Previous

Return to Newbie Central