What kind of skates should I buy?

New to the forums or to CCRG? Introduce yourself here and learn more about CCRG, roller derby, rules, skates, and equipment!

Postby knockinbootsy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:26 pm

that is a bummer! that happened to wunder's skate a week or two ago. I'm not sure what kind she has - torqs or carreras, maybe?

my 265s really did take about a month to break in/feel like I could skate hard in them without being a little wacky. I really, really like them now, but if I were in your situation I would probably get another pair of the same skate so you can break it in quickly without having to change your balance and all that on top of your bum leg.
knockinbootsy

Postby Myrtle Kombat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:43 pm

I've got the Reidell 122's and I like them. I really didn't have a hard time getting used to them. Although, I have a wide foot, so not sure how they would be for a narrow foot. There have been posts on the roller girl forum on skates for narrow feet, but I can't remember what skates there were. I've got longer plates on mine cause that is what I have always skated on (Sure Grip XK-4). It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks sometimes, so I like mine, and will probaby stick with them. I want to get some 265's in the future, but will put the same plates on them.
Myrtle Kombat

Postby Poke A. Dot » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:56 am

Sue--

What size do you wear? I have an old pair of Carreras that you could use for a bit until you're ready to get 265s (if that's the route you choose to take). I too have a narrow foot and am still pretty happy with the 265s. The ankle strap really helps.

As for adjustment time, I'd echo Beth's assessment--it took me about a month to really get used to them, but it was totally worth it. I get lower and my skating seems smoother.

Poke
Poke A. Dot #35
Old fart
Pottymouth
WFTDA Rep
WFTDA Rankings Committee Chair
Poke A. Dot

Postby Ire Starter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks guys -- I really would like to just get the 265s. This timing stinks, though. I keep thinking I'm ready to skate hard again, then I do 15 minutes of sprinting drills and my leg hurts for a whole week. I have also been completely naive about how long skates last. I had no idea that it's common to get new skates every season...I've had mine almost two years (minus 5 months not skating).

I'm a size 8.5-9 women's...my skates are size 8, but I might be able to go a size lower. Poke, if your skates fit, it would be awesome if I could borrow them for a bit. Thanks!! Then I could get the 265s, but have a backup for the bout.
Ire Starter

Postby Melony Fistdemeanor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:09 am

Hey Sue,
I would recommend emailing the girl on the Sin City site to get the right size for you. I measured my foot and sent her the measurements and she recommended the right size for me.
I also love my 265s and wouldn't trade them! I agree with the month for break in.
My old Carreras are size 7 mens, I believe. If Poke's don't work you could try mine.
Melony Fistdemeanor

Postby Diesel » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:19 am

IRE...I LOVE MY 265'S! SO WORTH THE MONEY! I HAVE HAD MINE SINCE THE FIRST DAY OF DERBY, SO THATS THE ONLY SKATE I AM FAMILIAR WITH. I HAD NO PROBLEM BREAKING MINE IN. I WEAR A WOMENS SIZE 8 SHOE, BUT GOT A SIZE 7 SKATE AND THEY WERE PERFECT. ALSO I BOUGHT MINE @ WOODYS. THERES NO DOUBT, YOU'LL LOVE THEM.

DIESEL
Diesel

Re: What kind of skates should I buy?

Postby Poke A. Dot » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:42 am

Some advice re: Volt skates from Ivanna Spankin' of Sin City Skates; she gives excellent advice about gear (I highly recommend reading the sin city blogs and any of her articles in 5 on 5)

"The Volts are actually "RW" brand, which is the label Riedell puts on skates that aren't high quality enough for their Riedell branding. The trucks are made of plastic, so I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend these skates for roller derby. I think they're fine for kids skating recreationally. But if you plan to skate even one serious roller derby practice, you should plan to spend at least $100 on skates. Nothing cheaper is safe for the paces we put skates through, in my humble opinion."
Poke A. Dot #35
Old fart
Pottymouth
WFTDA Rep
WFTDA Rankings Committee Chair
Poke A. Dot

Postby holly.Justholly » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:14 pm

holly.Justholly

Postby Mischief2868 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:01 pm

I found a pair of used R3's at a play it again sports.. They're only 40$ and they seem to fit pretty well. Anyone have any advice for a newbie as to whether or not I should buy them? I know they're pretty low-end, but I'm low on cash and only started skating two weeks ago.. Would they be okay to use for a few months just to get out of those stinkin' rentals?
Mischief2868

Postby Nell Bomb » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I've been skating on them since 2006 (mind you I am on my 4th pair). If they have green wheels on them, will you please let me know? Mine were stolen. Thanks!!
Nell Bomb

Postby Mischief2868 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Nope, sorry! They were white boots with hot pink wheels. If I get them I'm totally swapping the wheels. Did you have any problems with them wearing out/breaking? I talked to the guy at Skate Escape in Atlanta and he said the plates on the R3s are bad.
Mischief2868

Postby Nell Bomb » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:22 pm

The plates were fine for me, never had a problem. I wear out the boots in a year to a year and a half. All in all, i'm spending the same amount of money as someone who buys expensive skates. Buy $300 skates and they last you 3 or so years. Buy $100 skates and they last year so.
Nell Bomb

Postby Peewee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:02 pm

There was a batch a few years back that had the plates recalled but I'm sure you can do an internet search and find out more info. Even if the plate is bad, Jimmy could get you a new one and replace it.
Peewee

Postby Mischief2868 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for your help ladies :] If they'll still at the shop I'm going to pick them up tomorrow. Here's to hoping nobody else bought them!
Mischief2868

Postby Whiskey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Okay,
This is all awesome advice, and I am still researching.

Can anyone give me advice or show me a link/other forum topic, though?
What I want to know is 1) what would you recommend I get? 2) How do you go about buying skates?
Some of you have told me do not ever buy boots that have the plates and wheels attached?
Give me advice like I don't know the first thing, cause I don't! Plates and wheels and boots, oh my! There hasn't been time at practice to ask advice and try on.
What are these numbers for? R3s, wheel weight?
It's a lot and I'm confused.
Like I said, I'm still researching, but I'd really appreciate advice.

I wish someone could just point and say "get those" and it would be done with. =P

P.S.---these skater packages that include pads and skates:: are they solid?

-Whiskey
Whiskey

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Central