What kind of protective gear should I buy?

New to the forums or to CCRG? Introduce yourself here and learn more about CCRG, roller derby, rules, skates, and equipment!

Postby rudy huxtabrawl » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:06 pm

here's another weird mom new-age holistic remedy:

mom got me some knee brace things with magnets in them. magnets are really good for arthritis & other body aches. i've worn them all day a few times since i got them & they actually do work - i haven't had any aching in my knees. she said that she got them from Avon - apparently they're selling a Curves' line of workout clothes & such.
rudy huxtabrawl

Postby Sarcastro » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:57 pm

Someone posted this on ARG's board and thought it a good idea to pass it on.

For those of you who are just getting new skates or are planning on getting new skates: DO NOT GET POWERDYNE TORQ plates!! They have produced a "bad" batch of plates and might need to a recall on them!! This is the reason my trucks kept coming out of the plate!!!
Sarcastro

Postby Diesel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:07 am

I LOVE MY RECTOR "FAT BOY" KNEE PADS. I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THEM. I FIRST TRIED PRO DESIGN BUT FELT THEY WERE TO BULKY FOR ME. I BOUGHT MY RECTOR'S FROM SIN CITY.

DIESEL
Diesel

Re: What kind of protective gear should I buy?

Postby rudy huxtabrawl » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Hey, super fresh meat! If you can wait to buy pads/protective gear because we usually place a big order right after boot camp through one of our sponsors - the Athens Skate Shop - for everything at COST plus shipping!!! We'll all get together & let you guys try on our gear to see what fits & what you individually prefer.

the site he actually orders from is EasternSkateSupply.com & you can login as Guest w/password 12345 so that you can view the products. the site isn't organized well b/c you can't actually shop from it, but you can look to get an idea of what you want to get - especially helmet color!!!
Here's mainly what we get through the shop so that you can start doing non-physical homework: :wink:

Protec - Wrist Guards, Elbow Pads, Knee Pads (not really recommended), Knee Gaskets & Helmets
http://www.pro-tec.net (product listing- no sales)

Triple 8 - Wrist Guards, Elbow Pads, Knee Pads & Helmets
http://www.triple8.com

187 - Elbow Pads, Knee Pads & (Gladiator) Knee Gaskets (highly recommended)
http://www.the187.com/products.php

a couple of us have also gotten these products available on the site:
Smith/Scabs - Knee Gaskets (highly recommended)

Rector - Wrist Guards, Elbow Pads & Knee Pads
rudy huxtabrawl

Postby Dana » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:02 am

HEY LADIES AND WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW GIRLS!! I HAVE A PAIR OF ROCK IT SKATES WITH THE PINK FLAMES. THEY ARE A SIZE 10 IN WOMENS AND THE BOOT IS PRETTY WIDE. I ONLY WORE THEM A FEW TIMES BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO WIDE FOR MY FEET. BUT IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN TRYING THEM LET ME KNOW I WILL BRING THEM TO PRACTICE WITH ME MONDAY.
Dana

size 10 wide skates

Postby Deb » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:32 pm

I would love to try those skates. THANKS for offering!!!
Deb

Postby whit » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:18 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for wrist guards? My palm is really tender right now (especially right under my pinky). So, I was wondering if there was a type of wrist guard that also protects the upper part of the palm?
whit

Postby Nell Bomb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:20 am

These go all the way up to your fingers
Triple Eight Hired Hands
http://www.sincityskates.com/2nd/charts ... charts.htm
Nell Bomb

Postby rudy huxtabrawl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:02 pm

We can also get those through our sponsor at cost. Just specify that you want them. I'm making up an order form for each skater, so you can just fill in a note.
rudy huxtabrawl

Postby Ida Backoff » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:19 pm

rudy huxtabrawl wrote:We can also get those through our sponsor at cost. Just specify that you want them. I'm making up an order form for each skater, so you can just fill in a note.

When r u doing this I need elbow pads
Ida Backoff

Postby elphn1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:03 pm

rudy huxtabrawl wrote:We can also get those through our sponsor at cost. Just specify that you want them. I'm making up an order form for each skater, so you can just fill in a note.

Oh! I will want to put in an order as well! I will be back in town for Monday's nights practice. I will need to try some stuff on to figure out what sizes I need.

Steph A
elphn1

Postby anne thrax » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Nell Bomb wrote:These go all the way up to your fingers
Triple Eight Hired Hands
http://www.sincityskates.com/2nd/charts ... charts.htm

i love my wrist guards but i am looking for a solution to protect others from my wedding rings---does anyone have a pair of hired hands that i could maybe slip on just to get an idea of how they feel??? even if they weren't the perfect size.....or if anyone else has ring solutions, i would love to hear them. i have a thin style vet wrap i was thinking of using to wrap my rings when i skate--i just really don't like to take them off ever, even when my fingers swell in marathons i won't remove them......superstitious or something.....
anne thrax

Postby Peewee » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:25 pm

I have wrist guards that go up to my knuckles and, I have to say that they are a big pain in the ass! But they still don't cover my wedding rings. I have an anniversary band that my hubby gave me to wear when I skate and when I'm at the gym. Here are the downsides to wristguards that come up to the fingers:

[list=]1. It makes it harder to grab/hold your teammates during whips & assists
2. They constantly bruise my fingers from digging in when I am getting up from bad falls & doing certain drills at practice (bear crawls, pushups, etc)
3. It makes it painful to hold hands w/ teammates during the caterpillar weave (we all hold hands in a pace line and take turns weaving)[/list]

I've been married for almost 12 years and have a ring that belonged to my hubby's mother. For me, it's just too risky to wear it while I skate. It's inevitable that it would get damaged or cause damage to my finger in a fall. So my solution was to wear my band (which I take off on some nights because of the aforementioned bruising!)

Any other married hags have a solution?
Peewee

Postby kfitz1215 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 pm

i need to get in line for new gear.

baha, married hags.
kfitz1215

Postby Nell Bomb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 pm

i don't wear my wedding rings during derby. scared i will damage my rings and/or hurt someone or myself.
Nell Bomb

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Central