What kind of protective gear should I buy?

New to the forums or to CCRG? Introduce yourself here and learn more about CCRG, roller derby, rules, skates, and equipment!

Re: What kind of protective gear should I buy?

Postby rudy huxtabrawl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 pm

I made up a user(& order)-friendly form today for gear ordering. I'll have copies tomorrow for each skater so you can just circle what you want.
rudy huxtabrawl

Postby whit » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 am

Hey Rudy!
Are you also going to have them next Monday? I'm not going to be at practice tonight (Farm 255 is having an awesome 6 course/6 beer dinner thing) but I would still like to get some stuff.
Whitney
whit

Postby rudy huxtabrawl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Yes! I'll have them Sunday, Monday & Wednesday.
rudy huxtabrawl

Postby Kat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:50 pm

I take mine off, I'm always scared they might get crushed out of shape while still on my fingers (like under a skate wheel). Just in case I drop those balls.

Besides its exciting, like I'm cheating on him with derby.
Kat

Postby carla » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:41 pm

What's up with all the multiple wedding rings?!? (Multiple husbands?)
carla

Postby ShirleyTrampleSarah » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 am

any ladies that already have pads and are happy with them that are about my body type wanna be a dear and let me try on your pads at practice tomorrow so I know what size to order.
I really like the look of the smith scabs but I'm not sure if anyone has those, otherwise I think the 187 pros, though I'm certainly willing to take suggestions/comments/etc.
I'm about 160 lbs, 5'4 ish, pretty thick above the knee but fairly trim below if it makes a difference fit wise. I'm thinking I probably want a medium pad but its possible I'll need a large so I want to make sure before I order.
ShirleyTrampleSarah

Postby ShirleyTrampleSarah » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:04 am

Also, anyone have comments about this package

http://www.bruisedboutique.com/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=120&products_id=677&zenid=9pqsm7vdftdvfjqto537ta2g64

I am planning on spending a chunk of my taxes on derby stuff (I gotta get some skates, rentals are killing me!) and I REALLY like this package but I wanna make sure the skates are good and I'm not gonna have to turn around and replace a ton of stuff (wheels, bearing, trucks, etc) on them immediately. Comments vets?
ShirleyTrampleSarah

Postby Poke A. Dot » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:28 am

Pain-Ya,

That package has really good gear in it. The folks at Sin City Skates (they worked with Reidell to resurrect the 265) recommend that new skaters go for a "rookie" skate rather than the 265.

They have different packages for new skaters. You have a bit more freedom with your skate choice:

http://sincityskates.com/2nd/packages/SCS-rookie.htm
Poke A. Dot #35
Old fart
Pottymouth
WFTDA Rep
WFTDA Rankings Committee Chair
Poke A. Dot

Postby carla » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:28 pm

ShirleyTrampleSarah wrote:let me try on your pads

You got it. I've got 187s.
Tre
carla

Postby KellsInferno » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:51 pm

I also recommend not wearing your wedding ring with stones that stick out. I wore mine forever and then one point I must have broke one of the prongs that holds the stone and not noticed until I realized my diamond was loose - lucky I didn't lose it!!

BTW - I STILL need to get it repaired if anyone has any recommendations of a trusted place to take jewelry for things like that! :)
KellsInferno

Postby Nell Bomb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:54 pm

I got mine done at Art of it All downtown.
Nell Bomb

Postby ShirleyTrampleSarah » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Poke A. Dot wrote:Pain-Ya,

recommend that new skaters go for a "rookie" skate rather than the 265.

Out of curiosity what about the 265 is not so good for newbs? I was thinking I'd rather get something good now while I have some money coming in than get something that I'm just going to have to upgrade in 6 months. What would be a good alternative that is still quality? Vixens maybe?
ShirleyTrampleSarah

Postby lynn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:59 am

hey rudy, i forgot to give you my gear form last night. can i give it to you on sunday or would you prefer that i email you?

thanks for doing this!
lynn

Postby anne thrax » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Hey Kells, We use Tena's jewelry, and they are fantastic. My ring are antique and they found a bigger stone for my husband to set in my engagement ring, plus moved the original stone to the center spot in my wedding band; the second part they did for me three days before the wedding.....and they encourage you to stop back in often so they can check your prongs and clean your rings for free :)
anne thrax

Postby anne thrax » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:28 pm

And Pain-ya, you can try my stuff on Sunday if you like (or at free skate), I am also 5'4" and I tried on a lot of stuff at Skate escape so I have different brands on my knees, elbows and wrists but I love it all....
anne thrax

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Central