Newbies

New to the forums or to CCRG? Introduce yourself here and learn more about CCRG, roller derby, rules, skates, and equipment!

Newbies

Postby Kat » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 am

Would y'all mind updating your forum profiles with a pic of yourselves? I'm still trying to figure out who is who.
Katillac Coupe Devill #75
When I started playing derby we had wooden wheels;
and you only had one pair and if you lost your wheels
you'd have to wait for someone to die and leave you their wheels.
Kat
Site Admin

Re: Newbies

Postby angihansen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:11 am

This took me a while to figure out, so if anyone else is wondering HOW to do it:
1. First get an image to use. It should be 100x100 pixels or smaller (your file size should be fine with those dimensions, but the max is 24K). JPG will work (I didn't test anything else)
2. Look in the upper left corner of your screen, where the dark green buttons are
3. Click the first dark green button "User Control Panel"
4. Now look for the orange words "User Control Panel" near the top of the page. UNDER that is a gray bubble that says "Overview"
5. Click the "Overview" bubble and a list of options will appear - choose "Profile"
6. Now the first gray bubble says "Profile." NEXT to that is another gray bubble that says "Edit Profile." Click the "Edit Profile" bubble and a list of options will appear - choose "Edit Avatar"
7. Look near the middle of the screen for a button that says "Choose File" - click that
8. Your system should prompt you to select a file - find the image you created (that's 100x100 or smaller)
9. Click "Submit" at the bottom of the screen
10. The system will say "Your profile has been updated."

WANT TO CHECK THAT IT WORKED? (mine didn't the first time)
* Repeat steps 2-6 above
* Your current image should display. If it doesn't, hit Ctrl-R to refresh the screen (or on a Mac is it... Apple+R?)
* If the image you selected doesn't display, repeat steps 7-9

Not sure if I'm personality disordered ;) but writing steps like this IS a regular part of my day job. Details, much? ;)
angihansen

Postby TheGrayveTrain » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:23 am

angihansen wrote:This took me a while to figure out, so if anyone else is wondering HOW to do it:
1. First get an image to use. It should be 100x100 pixels or smaller (your file size should be fine with those dimensions, but the max is 24K). JPG will work (I didn't test anything else)
2. Look in the upper left corner of your screen, where the dark green buttons are
3. Click the first dark green button "User Control Panel"
4. Now look for the orange words "User Control Panel" near the top of the page. UNDER that is a gray bubble that says "Overview"
5. Click the "Overview" bubble and a list of options will appear - choose "Profile"
6. Now the first gray bubble says "Profile." NEXT to that is another gray bubble that says "Edit Profile." Click the "Edit Profile" bubble and a list of options will appear - choose "Edit Avatar"
7. Look near the middle of the screen for a button that says "Choose File" - click that
8. Your system should prompt you to select a file - find the image you created (that's 100x100 or smaller)
9. Click "Submit" at the bottom of the screen
10. The system will say "Your profile has been updated."

That's a really good description provided above, just wanted to throw in a few quick screenshots to help illuminate the process.

Step 3)
ControlPanel.PNG
Control Panel Location
ControlPanel.PNG (103.53 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

Step 5)
ChooseProfile.PNG
Profile Menu Selection
ChooseProfile.PNG (110.94 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

Step 6)
EditAvatar.PNG
Choose Edit Avatar
EditAvatar.PNG (81.24 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

Step 7-9)
UploadImage.PNG
Upload Image
UploadImage.PNG (49.5 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
TheGrayveTrain
Site Admin

Postby nell bomb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:44 am

now i know why you seem familiar angi, we're both in bloom & frontier on fb.
Nell Bomb
Official/Active Retiree
WFTDA Rep/WFTDA Games Officer
Rules Test Author
I make all the copies
nell bomb

Postby chokeahontas » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:54 am

I can't get any pics I want to upload. The pixels aren't the correct alloted amount. No matter what I do, it doesn't work. Hopefully everyone can figure out who I am ;)
Chokeahontas
chokeahontas@gmail.com
706-380-7374
I've got the hook-up. Whatchu need?
chokeahontas

Postby nell bomb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:04 pm

chokeahontas wrote:I can't get any pics I want to upload. The pixels aren't the correct alloted amount. No matter what I do, it doesn't work. Hopefully everyone can figure out who I am ;)

emailed you one that should work.
Nell Bomb
Official/Active Retiree
WFTDA Rep/WFTDA Games Officer
Rules Test Author
I make all the copies
nell bomb

Postby TheGrayveTrain » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:15 pm

chokeahontas wrote:I can't get any pics I want to upload. The pixels aren't the correct alloted amount. No matter what I do, it doesn't work. Hopefully everyone can figure out who I am ;)

Hey! So, I'm going to make a few assumptions, and please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to assume you're using some copy of the Windows OS (XP, Vista, 7, or 8 ) and that is has Microsoft Paint installed. The explanation I'm giving isn't the most direct, but should be the same across versions.

Step 1: Open MS Paint - (Start --> All Programs ---> Accessories ---> 'Paint')
openpaint.png
Open Paint
openpaint.png (84.22 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

Step 2: Choose the appropriate file to edit. I'll assume you know how to open/choose a file.

Step 3: Once open, choose to resize the file:
Resize.PNG
Resize file
Resize.PNG (49.08 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

Step 4: Resize options:
a)Choose to resize by pixels
b)Determine which is larger, the height or the width
c)Make sure that 'Maintain aspect ratio' option is selected.
d)Shrink the largest dimension (height or width), down to 100 pixels. The other dimension should automatically resize as well.
e)Choose 'okay'.
ResizePixels.PNG
Resize Options
ResizePixels.PNG (23.94 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

Step 5: Save your changes, and attempt to upload again
TheGrayveTrain
Site Admin

Postby DoubleTrouble » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 pm

I was able to get my photo uploaded!! When I downloaded my picture from Flicker, I selected the Thumbnail Size which made the photo just the right size to work.

Thanks Double Trouble
DoubleTrouble

Postby chokeahontas » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks guys! Nell made a pic for me. :D
Chokeahontas
chokeahontas@gmail.com
706-380-7374
I've got the hook-up. Whatchu need?
chokeahontas

Postby angihansen » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Screen grabs always help! Thanks! :)
angihansen

Postby TheGrayveTrain » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Bump!

Sorry for all the images being gone, I think this forum has had to transfer where it's hosted from a time or two since that post was written up. I'm bumping this because adding an image to your user account can help people more quickly associate your face with your derby persona. Also, if you're anything like most members of this league, you'll do this process once and never change it again. Just something to consider, no pressure.

Thanks!
TheGrayveTrain
Site Admin

Postby TheGrayveTrain » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:18 pm

TheGrayveTrain wrote:Bump!

Sorry for all the images being gone, I think this forum has had to transfer where it's hosted from a time or two since that post was written up. I'm bumping this because adding an image to your user account can help people more quickly associate your face with your derby persona. Also, if you're anything like most members of this league, you'll do this process once and never change it again. Just something to consider, no pressure.

Thanks!

Bump again for the newest class of murder babies! See the instructions listed a few posts above. It's super helpful for people when associating a name to a face to a forums account.
TheGrayveTrain
Site Admin

Return to Newbie Central